BOSTON (CBS) — Once the Patriots drafted Jarrett Stidham in April, the clock was ticking on Danny Etling’s Patriots career.
That clock finally reached zero on Tuesday, as the Patriots waived Etling from the roster.
The news was first reported by ESPN’s Field Yates.
The Patriots have waived QB/WR Danny Etling, per source. Etling begun working at WR this offseason to try to increase his roster chances.
— Field Yates (@FieldYates) August 13, 2019
The Patriots drafted Etling in the seventh round of the 2018 draft out of LSU, where he had completed 59.7 percent of his passes while throwing 27 touchdowns and just seven interceptions over two seasons.
Etling was waived at the end of the preseason last year, but remained with the team on the practice squad throughout the season.
This summer, Etling transitioned into some roles outside of quarterbacks, notably working the wide receivers and running some routes in practice.
The Patriots drafted Stidham out of Auburn this year in the fourth round. He completed 14 of 24 passes for 179 yards and a touchdown in his preseason debut last week in Detroit.
- Report: Director Del Toro Entering Games With THQ
- E-BUSINESS SPECIAL REPORT E-Commerce Shooting Stars - Where Are They Now?
- Blake Bortles tops Johnny Manziel as best rookie QB in Madden 15
- Top 5 Madden NFL 18 QBs Revealed, And They Are…..
- Review | Supreme League of Patriots: Issues 1-3
- Patriots Pummel StubHub - 13,000 to Nothing
- Rainbow Six: next game to be next-gen, Patriots title AWOL
- Russian studios encouraged to produce 'patriotic' games
- Judge Rules Feds Cannot Silence ISPs With Patriot Act
- Volume to star Thomas was Alone narrator Danny Wallace, YouTube’s Charlie McDonnell