The world is a hellscape, politics is a nightmare, a recession is expected and car sales are slowing but, by God, yellow is back. In a world full of uncertainty, yellow cars are certainly fantastic and thankfully here.
I got a little excited when Nitro Yellow was announced for the Supra. When Lexus showed off the LC Inspiration Series in Flare Yellow, I was almost convinced. Things got a bit hotter when Indy Yellow returned for the NSX. Then, finally, Rolls-Royce showed off a Wraith in Semaphore Yellow.
Yellow’s back. And it’s very, very good.
I’m not sure why colors come in and out of fashion. Maybe automakers are capitalizing on nostalgia for the vibrant colors of the 90s. Maybe they’re taking note of the splitter guards that people keep leaving on their Challengers. I really don’t know.
What I do know is that I’ll take a thousand special editions in yellow over another “midnight” or “blackout” package on an already bland car. I know I drive a beige Lexus, but that was used and not offered in bright colors. If you can get a cool color, you better. In Hogan’s America, buying a Rolls-Royce in black or gray is grounds for a lifetime ban from driving.
Now, despite what you may suspect from the tone of this article so far, yellow is not my favorite color. I’d do a dark green or a bright blue before yellow in most cases. But I want to celebrate the return of color, any color, to the grayscale of modern automotive paint.
And more than that, I genuinely think these cars look spectacular in yellow. Plain, flat yellow paints have always looked cheap and ugly to me. But a deep and vibrant yellow like the LC 500’s is fantastic and reminds me of the LFA, which is the best car.
As our own Raphael Orlove says, let yellow cars be the flowers of your meadow.
- Ambassadors, Beetle, Maruti 800: It was the end of the road for some iconic cars this decade
- Madonna, Motown and Mongolian metal: the music to listen out for in 2020
- UK weather forecast – Christmas Day sunshine after floods and 60mph gales make roads ‘treacherous’ for millions
- Christina Hendricks is blooming lovely in floral midi as she joins co-stars Keanu Reeves and Tom Hanks at the Toy Story 4 premiere in Los Angeles
- Jennifer Lopez the silver siren shines bright in revealing dress and headpiece at Met Gala with Alex Rodriguez... 20 years after she first attended 'fashion's biggest night'
- What to make of Brazil’s new firebrand president, Jair Bolsonaro
- The Beckham boys wear matching pyjamas and Sir Elton John shares sweet throwback while Geri Horner lights a final advent candle as they lead the stars celebrating Christmas Eve
- Princess Charming! Four-year-old Charlotte hugs royal fan in wheelchair and delights Sandringham crowds - as she and brother Prince George attend Christmas Day church service for first time
- The Queen's great-grandhuggers! New video shows Prince George embraced wheelchair-bound lady at Christmas Day church service FIRST - prompting Princess Charlotte to also offer a hug
- The Latest: Pope again denounces ills of human trafficking