A new report says the Indian-spec VW T-Cross, the fourth version of the global sub-compact SUV, will debut in pre-production form at Auto Expo 2020. Its platform-mate from Skoda will premiere in concept at the same event. Of these two, the Skoda model will be the first one to be put on sale in India.
As we have known for a while now, the Indian-spec VW T-Cross will have a tougher design and sit on the MQB A0 IN platform, the low-cost version of the MQB A0 platform. Like Latin America and China, India will get its T-Cross with a wheelbase nearly 100 mm longer than the version sold in Europe (2,563 mm). Steffen Knapp, Director, Volkswagen India, had told IndianAutosBlog.com last year that the Indian-spec VW T-Cross will have “real SUV style” with “more ruggedness and higher ground clearance”. The new report says that it will have 205 mm ground clearance, longer doors and a different axle and suspension setup. Expect a greater focus on rear-seat comfort as well. Also, the name of the version sold in India will likely be different, so that customers don’t associate it with Maruti S-Cross.
The MQB A0 IN VW SUV will be offered with two petrol engine options in India. One will be a 130 PS 1.5-litre EVO TSI turbocharged four-cylinder unit and the other will be a 115 PS 1.0-litre TSI turbocharged three-cylinder unit. Diesel engine option will be given a miss, but the company hasn’t ruled out the possibility of a CNG-powered variant.
The MQB AO IN SUVs from Volkswagen and Skoda will be a part of Volkswagen Group’s India 2.0 strategy. Both the SUVs will face stiff competition from the Hyundai Creta and the Kia Seltos as well as the Tata Harrier and the MG Hector.
- India’s Auto Expo goes green; public, execs yawn
- Kia previews large and luxurious Telluride SUV ahead of 2016 Detroit Auto Show
- Mitsubishi is here to stay with the GC-PHEV concept SUV at the 2015 Chicago Auto Show
- 2017 Bentley Bentayga SUV leaked before Frankfurt debut thanks to 1:18 scale model
- 2014 Chicago Auto Show: These 5 cars will matter most at the Chicago Auto Show
- 2015 Detroit Auto Show: Buick’s back with a convertible
- Drive-in cinema to go: Mercedes-Benz GLA concept, set to debut at Shanghai Motor Show, boasts 3D cameras, built-in projector
- Frankfurt Auto Show: Jaguar F-Pace is an SUV with "attitude"
- Cheap loans, new cars, and a strong economy all strengthen U.S. auto sales
- A chat with Ian Callum, Director of Design of Jaguar at the 2015 LA Auto Show