CEYLANPINAR, Turkey (AP) — The latest on Turkey’s offensive in northern Syria (all times local):12:50 a.m.Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says he rejects a call from U.S. President Donald Trump to declare a ceasefire and halt Turkey’s military offensive in northeastern Syria.Erdogan said: “They say ‘declare a ceasefire.’ We could never declare a ceasefire.”Turkey’s leader also told a group of journalists Tuesday that he is not concerned about the presence of Syrian government troops moving into the city of Manbij, but does not want Syrian Kurdish fighters to remain.Turkey launched its military offensive a week ago to clear a border region from Syrian Kurdish forces linked to outlawed Kurdish militants in Turkey. Erdogan said that “we cannot declare a ceasefire until we clear this region.”Erdogan’s comments during a flight back from Azerbaijan were reported by the Turkish newspaper Hurriyet.———11:55 p.m.The Kremlin says Russian President Vladimir Putin has discussed the situation in northern Syria with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.The Kremlin says that during Tuesday’s talk the leaders “noted the need to prevent conflicts between Turkish army units and Syrian government forces” and also confirmed their “adherence to Syria’s territorial integrity.”The Syrian army has moved north under a deal with the… Read full this story
- Putin, Erdogan, Rouhani talk Syria in Sochi
- United Nations council to hear latest on offensive in Syria’s Idlib
- Syria regime forces surround Turkish army post in Idlib
- Erdoğan says Turkey will end Syria offensive 'if Kurds withdraw'
- Pence announces U.S. and Turkey have agreed to ceasefire in Syria
- ISIS, Assad, and Turkey Are Waging a Shadow War on U.S. Allies in Syria
- Trump lifts Turkey sanctions, calling ceasefire in Syria "permanent"
- Fighting in Syria persists despite ceasefire, Turkish fighters accused of using white phosphorus
- Three million caught in crossfire as Assad vows to capture every inch of Syria
- Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan discusses Libya ceasefire during surprise Tunisia trip
The Latest: Erdogan rejects call for ceasefire in Syria have 325 words, post on gazette.com at October 15, 2019. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.