WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The treatment of U.S. Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch – disparaged by President Donald Trump and abruptly recalled from Ukraine – exemplifies what current and former U.S. officials describe as a campaign by Trump against career diplomats. U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Louise Yovanovitch is seen during a ceremony to mark World AIDS Day in Kiev, Ukraine December 1, 2017. REUTERS/Gleb Garanich A veteran diplomat who has led the U.S. embassies in Armenia, Kyrgyzstan and Ukraine, Yovanovitch’s stint as ambassador in Kiev was cut short when she was recalled to Washington in May as Trump allies leveled unsubstantiated charges of disloyalty and other allegations against her. Former Deputy Secretary of State Bill Burns, a career foreign service officer who served in top diplomatic posts under Republican and Democratic presidents, described her treatment as part of a wider “campaign within and against the department.” “There is a quite reckless and dangerous effort underway not only to sideline career expertise but to sideline the department as an institution,” said Burns, author of “The Back Channel,” a memoir of his career that calls for a renewal of U.S. diplomacy. Yovanovitch is now embroiled in the Democratic-led House of Representatives’ inquiry into whether… Read full this story
- Trump doesn't want to lose Afghanistan, but experts say the U.S. will never truly win
- Trump Administration Discussed Coup Plans With Rebel Venezuelan Officers
- As U.S. Troops Leave Afghanistan, Diplomats Are Left to Fill Uncertain Mission
- Afghan War report enrages veterans and Gold Star families: "Even as more of us died, they lied"
- Trump’s Off-the-Cuff Tweets Strain Foreign Ties
- Marie Yovanovitch gets standing ovation at jazz club after Trump impeachment testimony
- Trump Administration Pushes Arms Sale to U.A.E. Despite Israeli Worries
- Top diplomat Sondland confirms quid pro quo in Ukraine scandal and other testimony revelations
- How likely is it the U.S. will fight World War III in Iran, North Korea, Syria, Ukraine or Venezuela?
- Biden to rally US diplomats with 1st major foreign policy speech
Yovanovitch is latest casualty of Trump war on career diplomats have 330 words, post on feeds.reuters.com at October 6, 2019. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.