Guwahati: Goods flew off shelves as locals rushed to stock up essential items after shops and markets in Guwahati opened Friday morning amid reports that curfew has been relaxed, which were later dismissed by the authorities. Long queues were seen outside shops at the Uzan Bazar, Chandmari, Silpukhuri and Zoo Road areas with people coming out in their cars and two-wheelers after some local channels reported that the prohibitory orders have been relaxed from 6 am to 1 pm. An Assam Police spokesman later clarified that there was no order about the curfew being relaxed and restrictions will be in force. The restrictions were imposed amid violent protests against the amended Citizenship Act. Security forces personnel who are manning each and every corner of the city, however, did not enforce closure of the markets and restrict movement of vehicles. Long queues were seen outside grocery stores, shops selling poultry items and fish. Many said they were stocking items for at least three-four days in wake of the uncertainties amid the protests. Several people were heard at the market saying they even got dressed for office after the reports of curfew relaxations. However, schools and offices remained shut. Flag marches by the Army… Read full this story
- Collins quits biotech's board amid corporate overhaul, fresh controversy
- Election 2018: Laguna Hills City Council candidates share their priorities and thoughts on local issues
- Election 2018: Orange City Council candidates share their priorities and thoughts on local issues
- Assemblyman calls for high-speed rail chair’s resignation, amid critical audit
- The Finance 202: Beijing trade talks conclude with no progress. Get ready for a long slog.
- Take Five: Trump to Italy, world markets themes for the week ahead
- Bump stock sales sustained small West Texas town, but no more
- Amid voter ID debate, NC may push for more uniformity in college IDs
- 42 Essential Apps for Trial Lawyers in 2016
- Border patrol releases dramatic ‘civil unrest readiness exercise’ video amid shutdown
Long Queues at Guwahati Markets as Locals Rush to Stock up Essentials Amid Reports of Relaxed Curfew have 313 words, post on www.news18.com at December 13, 2019. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.