BRITAIN is set to get a special set of stamps to mark Brexit, The Sun can reveal. PM Boris Johnson has stepped in to make the formal request from the Royal Mail. It is understood that ministers are now in talks with post bosses, which one government insider dubbed as “very positive”. An announcement could come as early as tomorrow, in what would be a major victory for a long-running Sun campaign for the stamps. Our call for special commemorative stamps to remember the landmark event in the nation’s history was first made two years ago, and was picked up by leading Brexiteers. But the Royal Mail has always opposed the move until now, insisting that issuing Brexit stamps would breach its “strict political neutrality”.Under the fledgling plan under discussion, a book of four stamps would be issued, each with a different design. They would be ready to go on sale in January 2021, to mark the end of the 11 month-long Brexit transition period when Britain will no longer be subject to EU rules. The Royal Mail’s refusal infuriated Leavers, who argued that special commemorative stamps were issued in 1973 when the UK first joined the EEC. Former PM… Read full this story
- Brexit: Boris Johnson to try for 12 December election
- No 10 slaps down Boris Johnson over Chequers plan criticism
- What happens next? How Boris Johnson's suspension of Parliament could force Remain MPs to spring their plot to block No Deal or force an election next week... if they can get their act together
- Defiant Boris Johnson throws down the gauntlet to 'rabble alliance' after asking Queen to suspend Parliament in dramatic move - as Remainers say they WILL launch plot to stop No Deal next week
- Who's who in Team Boris after brutal cull of Theresa May era: Boris Johnson tells his new-look 'Brexit Cabinet' that Britain is at a 'pivotal moment'
- PM's 'final chance' for quick poll to end the paralysis: Desperate bid by Boris Johnson to get a December 12 election is last opportunity to 'replace this dysfunctional parliament' say aides
- "Face Further Uncertainty": Boris Johnson Loses Support For Brexit Deal
- Vote for New Year's LEAVE: Boris Johnson pledges to get UK out of EU by January as he finally wins his bid for December 12th election (but there's embarrassment for Jeremy Corbyn as more than 100 Labour MPs defy his call to back Christmas poll)
- Boris Johnson admits his 'do or die' vow for Brexit by October 31 will be broken as he accepts EU's three-month extension - but blames Parliament for the delay
- Boris Johnson Suspended Parliament Unlawfully, UK Supreme Court Finds
Royal Mail set to release stamps to mark Brexit after Boris Johnson stepped in and made request have 428 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 22, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.