BORIS Johnson has told the EU he will pull the plug on any trade deal if it means following Brussels rules, in what allies have dubbed his “Mad Man” strategy. The PM issued the threat as the EU’s negotiations boss Michel Barnier laid out a stringent series of tough terms that the UK must meet. An agreement must be in place by the end of the 11 month-long transition period that expires on December 31 or both sides face punishing trade quotas and tariffs on exports. Laying down the gauntlet, Boris declared: “We have made our choice; we want a comprehensive free trade agreement, similar to Canada’s. “But in the very unlikely event that we do not succeed, then our trade will have to be based on our existing Withdrawal Agreement with the EU. “The question is whether we agree a trading relationship with the EU comparable to Canada’s – or more like Australia’s.”The Australia reference was seen as a thinly veiled threat for no deal at all, as the country only trades with the EU on WTO terms with big tariffs. Brexit to-do listBORIS Johnson faces an extraordinary array of Brexit challenges that all must now be completed in… Read full this story
- Fury as Boris Johnson threatens to 'rip up' Brexit deal - and sets October 15 deadline
- Deal in danger: On post-Brexit U.K.-EU trade deal
- Will Boris Johnson sink Britain's Brexit withdrawal deal?
- EU Diplomats Slam Johnson's Ultimatum on Free Trade Deal as 'Self-Defeating Strategy': Report
- 'This time, we won't blink': Boris Johnson's chief negotiator warns EU that Britain will not become a 'client state' of Brussels on the eve of crunch talks to avoid a No Deal Brexit
- Boris Talks Tough: Will Threaten WTO Exit Unless EU Agrees Deal by Autumn
- Boris Johnson is battling to reach a Brexit deal. But hardliners already fear betrayal
- Five weeks to seal Brexit deal... or we walk: Boris Johnson puts deadline on trade talks and threatens to TEAR UP parts of the Withdrawal Agreement as he insists No Deal would be 'good outcome'
- Brexit: Boris Johnson is smashing your house up in order to swat a fly. It won't end well for any of us
- Boris Johnson sets October deadline for post-Brexit deal with EU
Boris Johnson threatens to pull plug on any EU trade deal if it means following Brussels rules in ‘Mad Man’ strategy have 371 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at February 4, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.