America’s Sofia Kenin stunned two-time Major champion Garbine Muguruza to win the Australian Open in her first Grand Slam final on Saturday, becoming the youngest player to lift the trophy in 12 years.Kenin, 21, showed all her trademark aggression as she fought back from a set down to win 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 in 2hrs 3mins.The 14th seed, who will now jump as high as seventh in the world and usurp Serena Williams as America’s number one, was in tears at the end and headed straight for her father Alexander, who is also her coach.It was the final surprise in a tournament of upsets, where Williams went out in the third round and Kenin upset Australia’s world number one Ashleigh Barty in the semi-finals.“My dream officially came true, I can’t describe this feeling,” said Kenin. “It’s amazing, dreams come true. If you have dreams, go for it, it’s going to come true.”Spain’s Muguruza, 26, unseeded for the first time at a Slam since 2014, broke in the third game of the first set at Rod Laver Arena, where the roof was closed for rain.Moscow-born Kenin, who also ended the fairytale run of 15-year-old Coco Gauff on her… Read full this story
- Serena Williams Took 6 Pregnancy Tests Before Winning Australian Open: 'Oh My God, This Can't Be'
- Andy Murray: Pain could force retirement after Australian Open
- Russian tennis star Daniil Medvedev suffers a nosebleed at the Australian Open
- Australian Open: Angelique Kerber thrashes Maria Sharapova
- Rory McIlroy wins British Open
- Australian Open: Roger Federer saves 7 match points. Now Novak Djokovic is up next.
- Australian Open: Steady Rafael Nadal beats animated Nick Kyrgios
- This day in sports: USC women’s basketball team wins second consecutive NCAA title
- On this day: Died April 11, 1977: Karen Krantzcke, Australian tennis player
- Wimbledon cancellation could signal end for Roger Federer and Serena Williams’ Grand Slam title chase
Kenin stuns Muguruza to win Australian Open women’s title have 310 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at February 1, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.