Scientists may have found protein, one of the building blocks of life, inside a meteorite that spent potentially millions of years hurtling through the cold vacuum of space. The first-time discovery, if confirmed, could have profound implications for our understanding of how, and where, life comes from—and could add a wrinkle to humanity’s widening hunt for extraterrestrial life. If the meteorite did indeed arrive on Earth with a payload of protein, it could bolster the notion that life—or at least the processes that result in life—could exist across the vast expanse of the universe and not just on our planet. “Protein is a good indicator of possible life,” Gilbert Levin, a former NASA scientist who helped to lead an early search for life on Mars, told The Daily Beast. But experts warn that there are still more questions than answers as far as the possible space-protein is concerned. It’s way too soon to celebrate a major breakthrough. A team of researchers from Harvard University, superconductor firm Plex Corporation, and science-supplier Bruker Scientific found evidence of a protein inside of a meteorite that plummeted to Earth in what is now Algeria. Proteins are the “workhorse molecules of life,” to borrow NASA’s… Read full this story
- Could the Moon Act As a Fishing Net for Extraterrestrial Life?
- What does the future hold for children with HIV?
- What Does the Future Hold for Africa's Continental Free Trade Area?
- 5:2 your life – the worry diet
- [email protected] Is Over. But the Search for Alien Life Continues
- Exoplanet More Than Twice the Size of Earth Is 'Most Promising Candidate so Far' to Harbor Life, Scientists Say
- Search for life now extends to outer reaches of solar system
- First Evidence of Life on Land Discovered in Australian Rocks Could Prove Darwin Right on Evolution
- Fiancé of disabled artist Alison Lapper - who posed pregnant for Trafalgar Square's fourth plinth - urges others 'not to hold things within' after her son, 19, is found dead
- 5:2 your life – the fitness plan
Does This Algerian Meteorite Hold Proof of Extraterrestrial Life? have 344 words, post on www.thedailybeast.com at March 15, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.