It mustn’t be easy to sell the “slow-burn procedural unfolding against the backdrop of a shocking murder in a small town” pitch to a TV audience any more, and so it is no surprise that HBO decided to back “a slow-burn procedural unfolding against the backdrop of a shocking murder in a small town — with a supernatural twist” plot to reel in viewers. The Outsider is an adaptation of a 2018 Stephen King novel that combines elements of two genres that enjoy red-hot popularity on TV: supernatural fantasy and true crime. There could not be material more ideal for a miniseries, because while the show offers the comfort (discomfort?) of dark investigative dramas, it also throws in bone-chilling scares and several jump-out-of-your-chair moments associated with adaptations of King’s works.What highly works in The Outsider’s favour is an unusual yet riveting pilot episode, which sets up the shows’ world beautifully. Detective Ralph Anderson (Ben Mendelsohn) is on his way to a baseball game with his fellow officers to arrest high school coach Terry Maitland (Jason Bateman) for the gruesome murder of a young boy. There are multiple witnesses who have offered up damning testimonies, and a mountain of forensic discovery… Read full this story
- Vikings WR Stefon Diggs signs lucrative extension, gets emotional remembering late father
- Some of the Best ‘BlacKkKlansman’ Scenes Serve No Plot Purpose—And Save the Film
- Film review: Shark thriller 'The Meg' goes deep, stays shallow
- 'Eighth Grade' movie review: New faces shine in sweet summer surprise
- Film review: ‘Searching’ for a great thriller? We just watched it
- Ratings and Review: 2016 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro is entry-level luxury that deserves 4 rings
- ‘The Last Days of Magic’ blends myth, fantasy and medieval history in rich tale of magic and Ireland: book review
- Review: Janet Jackson gave Charlotte fans lots to love. But could she have given more?
- Ratings and Review: Is the 2017 Kia Cadenza a thoughtful answer to a question nobody asked?
- Why Do We Keep Seeing So Much Scissoring In Lesbian Sex Scenes?
'The Outsider' review: Extensively-plotted, emotionally-layered, and keeps you hooked till the end have 333 words, post on www.thehindu.com at March 20, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.