Boris Johnson has announced a historic clampdown on public gatherings in a major escalation of the UK’s fight against the coronavirus. The Prime Minister told all Brits to avoid pubs, clubs and theatres, work from home where at all possible, and avoid all unnecessary travel in the most extreme measures to be unveiled in peacetime in living memory. If anyone in your household develops a new continuous cough or high temperature, you must now all self-isolate in your home for 14 days. Mass gatherings are being abandoned from tomorrow, and from this weekend, those with underlying health conditions will be asked to shield themselves from social contact for three months. But schools will still remain open – for now – despite the lockdown elsewhere. It came as cases in the UK rose by 171 to 1,543 overnight with stock markets plunging and the aviation industry in disarray. It is not currently suggested that today’s drastic measures will be enforced by the authorities. At this stage, the government is asking for voluntary compliance. Boris Johnson said Britain was a “mature democracy” that could avoid that sort of action. But he didn’t rule it out. He said: “We have the powers if… Read full this story
- The UK's restrictive surrogacy laws are hurting couples and pushing many abroad
- NJ Embroiled In 7 Big Lawsuits: Here's What They're Fighting
- Black women and the fight for abortion rights: How this brochure sparked the movement for reproductive justice
- Ministers 'up for the fight' to rule out no-deal Brexit, senior Tory tells May
- Brexit: The jargon explained
- JIM MATTHEWS: What made a middle-aged teacher fly out to fight ISIS?
- Macron slaps down Tusk's Brexit 'flextension' plan for the UK
- Over 400 Isis jihadis have already returned to the UK
- New book shows bloody reality of the 1944 Battle of the Bulge
- Mother told a giant growth was benign is now fighting cancer
UK coronavirus lockdown explained: Draconian new restrictions to fight COVID-19 in full have 303 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at March 16, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.