(CNN)Sen. David Perdue, a Georgia Republican up for reelection and a close Trump confidant, issued a blunt warning to GOP activists during an off-the-record conference call this week: Democrats are in position to turn his state blue and take the Senate. “Here’s the reality: The state of Georgia is in play,” Perdue said Monday, according to an audio recording of a call with “Women for Trump” obtained by CNN. “The Democrats have made it that way.” The stark warning from a GOP senator — who is not considered among the most vulnerable Republicans this election cycle — illustrates the fear among Republicans that Democrats’ chances of taking back the Senate continue to grow. Already facing the prospect of defending the Senate with an unpopular Republican president in an election cycle with more seats to defend than to target, Republicans are up against a bevy of well-funded Democratic challengers and are now navigating a public health and economic crisis that has injected deep uncertainty into the national political landscape. Indeed, the political environment for GOP senators has only become more challenging in the past few months. Republican incumbents in Colorado, Arizona, Maine and North Carolina always knew they would face a… Read full this story
- GOP Senator Suggests New Stimulus Deal Could Pass In 'Tight Time Frame' With Limited Republican Support
- With Just One Week to Election Day, These GOP Senate Seats Are Most Likely to Flip Blue
- GOP Senator Chuck Grassley Slams 'Sexist' and 'Ageist' Democrats for Calling on Dianne Feinstein to Step Down
- With Less Than 3 Weeks Until the Election, These Nine GOP Senators Are in Danger of Losing Their Seats
- GOP Senator Lisa Murkowski Flips, Says She'll Vote 'Yes' on Barrett Supreme Court Nomination
- GOP Senate candidate accused of sexual encounter with minor
- The Hill's Morning Report - Sponsored by National Industries for the Blind - Prudent or 'pathetic'? GOP senators plan to vote on coronavirus relief Thursday
- Top GOP senators say Hunter Biden's work 'cast a shadow' over Obama Ukraine policy
- GOP senators say coronavirus deal dead until after election
- Over 16,000 Christians Sign Petition Rejecting Amy Coney Barrett, Telling GOP Senators Bible Condemns 'Hypocrisy'
GOP senator gives activists grim 2020 assessment amid fears over holding Senate have 360 words, post on edition.cnn.com at April 29, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.