MANILA, Philippines — Eliseo Rio Jr. said he was "eased out" as undersecretary of the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) last month after questioning the selection of StaySafe.ph as the country's official contact tracing app. Rio broke his silence in a social media post on Sunday. He cited weaknesses in StaySafe.ph's privacy protocols and its ability to do contact tracing—an essential function in isolating cases to stop the spread of the deadly coronavirus disease (COVID-19). StaySafe.Ph was developed by Multisys Technologies Corp., a company partly owned by telco giant PLDT Inc. Multisys CEO David Almirol Jr. told the Inquirer on Sunday the app is fully functional but he acknowledged the need to resolve integration issues between different operating systems for mobile devices. Malacañang spokesman Harry Roque said last April 22 that StaySafe.ph will be the country's "official social distancing, health condition reporting, and contact tracing system." This means it will augment inefficient and time-consuming manual contact tracing as strict lockdown measures are eased and millions of Filipinos return to work. The Department of Transportation, for example, said it will be relying on StaySafe.ph to aid tracing in mass public transport. But in his post, Rio questioned the decision… Read full this story
- How do they expect people to go back to work if they have to travel like this? Tory MPs' fury as rail unions hold nation to ransom with refusal to return services to 85 per cent capacity
- Coronavirus latest: Europe opens up for tourism
- Coronavirus latest: Tokyo restores restrictions after spike
- The Latest: South Korea has 63 newly confirmed virus cases
- Coronavirus latest: Beijing outbreak 'extremely severe' as fears grow over second wave
Ex-DICT usec Rio says he was eased out of govt after pointing out StaySafe.ph app limitations have 286 words, post on business.inquirer.net at June 7, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.