South Africa’s president says it has been a ‘dark and shameful week’ for his country following a surge in violence against women. Cyril Ramaphosa’s remarks come after several shocking incidents, including one woman who was eight months pregnant and found stabbed and hanging from a tree. The violence has been linked to the lifting of restrictions on the sale of alcohol as lockdown was eased. ‘It is a dark and shameful week for us as a nation. Criminals have descended to even greater depths of cruelty and callousness. It simply cannot continue,’ President Ramaphosa said in a statement. Tshegofatso Pule, 28, was found stabbed through the chest and hanged from a tree on the outskirts of Johannesburg last week, four days after going missing ‘We note with disgust that at a time when the country is facing the gravest of threats from the pandemic, violent men are taking advantage of the eased restrictions on movement to attack women and children.’ He also noted that South Africa had among the highest levels of domestic violence in the world, and that as much as 51 per cent of South African women have experienced violence at the hands of someone with whom they… Read full this story
- Bucha's Month of Terror
- Logan Mwangi's mum and stepdad GUILTY of murdering boy found in river with 56 injuries
- Lisa Blakie's murder – lone kill or gang hit?
- Sabina Nessa’s killer Koci Selamaj cowers in cell as he REFUSES to face her family to be sentenced for teacher’s murder
- Sabina Nessa killer who beat teacher to death in park sex attack is jailed for life
- Can a daughter's frantic 911 call convict or free her father from charges that he killed his wife?
- Letters: Legislature’s move on abortion decried, supported
- Queen Elizabeth health news – Aides TERRIFIED illness will devastate Jubilee after she’s forced to ditch Easter plans
- I was groomed by woman at bus stop & passed around men for a pack of fags – why were no Rotherham cops held accountable?
- Killer mum's lying 999 call as she pretended not to know how son Logan Mwangi, 5, died
South Africa's 'dark and shameful week' after lifting lockdown: String of women are murdered including one who was eight months pregnant and another whose body was dumped under a tree as domestic violence surges with alcohol back on sale have 344 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at June 15, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.