Marks & Spencer (M&S) will serve notice this week of imminent plans for hundreds of job cuts as it becomes the latest prominent retailer to restructure its workforce in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Sky News has learnt that M&S will begin announcing redundancy plans within days, joining the likes of the John Lewis Partnership, Boots, and Debenhams in what has rapidly become a bloodbath on Britain’s high streets. Sources said that several thousand jobs were expected to be lost as chief executive Steve Rowe accelerates an ongoing restructuring of the business during the coming months. They form part of a plan that the company dubbed ‘Never the same again’ at its results two months ago. In the initial phase to be announced this week, M&S will confirm the first substantive cuts to its workforce since the COVID-19 crisis forced the temporary closure of most of its shops in March. Advertisement It will make the UK’s most famous retailer the latest chain to have taken taxpayers’ money through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, only to subsequently announce significant numbers of redundancies. 27,000 M&S employees – out of a total of 78,000 – were furloughed under the government’s programme to… Read full this story
- Refused covid tests, GP visits and beds in hospitals: Care home deaths leap ten-fold in a week as Britain's most frail and elderly perish by the hundreds - in a criminal case of 'out of sight, out of mind'
- TAFE offers 21 free courses for Australians wanting to learn new skills while they're isolated at home - saving them up to $1570 as unemployment skyrockets due to coronavirus crisis
- How to protect your money during the COVID-19 crisis: Finance coaches reveal how to 'save smart' and cut down bills in the coming months - and why you should NOT touch your super
- 'We are beginning to see change': UK's chief scientific adviser Patrick Vallance offers signs of hope as coronavirus cases start to flatten despite bleakest day yet with 786 new deaths - but Dominic Raab warns lockdown WON'T end yet
- Migrant workers and international students stuck in Australia due to coronavirus travel bans
- Calls for migrant workers to be included in JobKeeper subsidy amid coronavirus crisis
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia (updated hourly)
- 'There are more tough times to come': Chancellor Rishi Sunak admits government cannot protect every business and household from coronavirus crisis amid warnings UK economy could shrink by a THIRD and TWO MILLION could lose jobs
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - States seek plans for economic revival; feds talk 'hope'
- Cruise ships crews: Stuck at sea, paydays dwindling and searching for a way home
Coronavirus: M&S to announce hundreds of job cuts this week have 443 words, post on news.sky.com at July 20, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.