“” This U.S. $1 bill has been marked as a replacement note. Notice the star located at the end of the serial number. BANKNOTEWORLD/HOWSTUFFWORKS All modern United States currency contains either a 10- or 11-digit serial number in order to make each bill unique. Ten-digit serial numbers were on all bills until the “new style” came out in 1996. Those bills (and all produced since then) have an 11-digit serial. The serial number consists of the following: The first letter, only found on the new-style bills, represents the series of the bill. The series indicates the year in which the design of the bill was approved for production. This begins with A, and moves through the alphabet each time a new series is needed (for example, each time there is a new secretary of the treasury, the bill design changes because the secretary’s signature is on all currency). You can also find the series of the bill printed directly to the bottom-right of the portrait.The second letter (or first, if you’re looking at an old-style bill) represents the district of the Federal Reserve Bank that your bill was issued from. As there are 12 Federal Reserve Banks, this letter can… Read full this story
- Who is Lisa George? Dancing On Ice 2020 and former Coronation Street star
- Celebrity deaths in 2019: Famous faces lost this year from Gary Rhodes to Toni Morrison
- Which Killers Could Appear on a Third Season of
- Democratic Party tries to save Thursday debate after ALL the candidates say they'll boycott if hosting university doesn't resolve labor dispute with food service workers
- 'Have you forgotten what you said two minutes ago?' Julian Castro, 44, astonishes Democrats by hinting that Joe Biden, 76, is struggling with his memory as they clash on health care
- The 50 greatest arts videos on YouTube
- 'Joe is not playing with a full deck' says Donald Trump as Biden escalates attack on president - but is tripped up by his own gaffes including saying 'poor kids are as bright and talented as white kids'
- Season-Finale Recap: The Lone Wolf
- Joe Biden warns Democrats that British Labour party's thumping defeat shows what happens to the radical left and calls UK prime minister Boris Johnson Donald Trump's 'physical and emotional clone'
- The Last Manson Mystery
Why Do Some U.S. Bills Have a Star at the End of the Serial Number? have 369 words, post on money.howstuffworks.com at July 10, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.