“” This U.S. $1 bill has been marked as a replacement note. Notice the star located at the end of the serial number. BANKNOTEWORLD/HOWSTUFFWORKS All modern United States currency contains either a 10- or 11-digit serial number in order to make each bill unique. Ten-digit serial numbers were on all bills until the “new style” came out in 1996. Those bills (and all produced since then) have an 11-digit serial. The serial number consists of the following: The first letter, only found on the new-style bills, represents the series of the bill. The series indicates the year in which the design of the bill was approved for production. This begins with A, and moves through the alphabet each time a new series is needed (for example, each time there is a new secretary of the treasury, the bill design changes because the secretary’s signature is on all currency). You can also find the series of the bill printed directly to the bottom-right of the portrait.The second letter (or first, if you’re looking at an old-style bill) represents the district of the Federal Reserve Bank that your bill was issued from. As there are 12 Federal Reserve Banks, this letter can… Read full this story
- Celebrity deaths in 2020: Famous faces lost this year from Caroline Flack to Stella Tennant
- EXCLUSIVE: Kay Burley's 'future at Sky News is in the balance' amid ongoing probe into 60th birthday bash rule breach as sources claim she 'doesn't have a 100% fan base' at broadcaster
- Playboy founder Hugh Hefner dies of natural causes aged 91 surrounded by loved ones at his infamous $100million Beverly Hills mansion
- 50 facts for Doctor Who's 50th anniversary: Everything you could possibly want to know about Time Lord's Whoniverse
- Horrific story behind Netflix’s Night Stalker who raped and murdered victims from six to 82 and gouged out a mum’s eyes
- Grange Hill cast reunite 43 years on to discuss the importance of teaching kids about drugs in a pre-internet world and meeting First Lady Nancy Reagan
Why Do Some U.S. Bills Have a Star at the End of the Serial Number? have 342 words, post on money.howstuffworks.com at July 10, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.