A British woman who killed her husband at their home in Malaysia sobbed in court after avoiding the death penalty today. Samantha Jones, 54, was said to have been "living in hell in paradise" with abusive partner John and often in fear of her life. The 63-year-old died of a knife wound after a scuffle when he arrived at their home drunk in October 2018 and attacked her. Jones has been held in a crowded jail on the mainland ever since, waiting for her trial. And having faced a mandatory death sentence for murder, she today wept with relief as she pleaded guilty to the reduced charge of culpable homicide. Samantha Jones wept with relief ( Image: Eric Tan/Daily Mirror) A judge at Alor Setar High Court in Kedah told her she was "fortunate" as he jailed her for three-and-half years and fined her £1,800. With time served, a third off the sentence, she could be free by next March and deported to the UK. Jones, who wore a face mask as she was escorted by a female police officer, was overcome with emotion when she saw family and friends who had travelled to support her. She told the court:… Read full this story
- Gavin Newsom to stop death penalty in California, giving reprieves to 737 death row inmates
- Execution ban spares some inmates who’ve been on California’s death row up to 40 years
- 27 Years On Death Row: SC Stays Execution Of Death Sentence Of Court-Martialed Army Man On His Wife’s Plea [Read Order]
- What did Kevin Cooper do, how many murders is he convicted of and how long has he been on death row?
- Yavatmal Human Sacrifice Case: Bombay HC Acquits 6 Death Row Convicts [Read Judgment]
- Gavin Newsom orders new DNA testing in 1983 murder case after petition by death row inmate
- More than 300 male and female Isis fanatics sentenced to death by Iraq courts as others jailed for life
- Death row inmate who killed former St. Louis reporter waits for review on clemency
- Late-revealed phone records lead to innocence declaration for former death-row inmate
- For a second time, Supreme Court rules for Texas death-row inmate claiming intellectual disability
Death row Brit who killed abusive husband will be out of jail within months have 356 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at August 3, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.