Sometimes, it’s obvious from the get-go that a moment in tech history is . . . well, historic. Other times, it’s clear only in the fullness of time. Yet another type of historic moment flies largely under the radar, shaping our lives more than most people ever realize. advertisement advertisement As Fast Company celebrates our 25th anniversary, we’ve compiled a list of 25 moments that have defined the tech industry since our first issue hit the stands with a cover date of November 1995. (These calls are tough to make, so we also picked 10 runners-up.) For better or worse—and sometimes both at the same time—these events have had lasting impact. If there’s some alternate universe where they never happened, it’s a different place indeed. 1. Section 230 plants social media seeds Brought into law alongside the Telecommunications Act of 1996, Section 230 of the Communications Act says that online services can’t be sued for their users’ content. While it predated YouTube and Facebook by nearly a decade, it ultimately allowed those sites to flourish by protecting them against civil complaints such as defamation. But they might not enjoy that immunity forever. Aggrieved by the idea of anti-conservative bias, the Trump… Read full this story
- Ratings and Review: The Lexus RX helped originally define the luxury crossover nearly 20 years ago; does it still?
- USA TODAY/Suffolk poll: Americans, in rare agreement, say sexual misconduct must stop
- Alex Jones Will Never Stop Being Alex Jones
- Old ballplayer tweets highlight team fears of social media
- Should parents be liable? Angst, inaction follow Marshall High shooting and many others
- How nightlife has changed in Oakland County’s hottest downtowns
- ‘A Dress Is Like a Passaporto, No?’ Welcome to Pierpaolo Piccioli’s Valentino
- Purdue basketball: Pregame vs. Marquette in Gavitt Games
- Purdue basketball: Boilermakers in 2018 Gildan Charleston Classic field
- Purdue basketball: Pregame vs. Fairfield
25 moments in tech that defined the past 25 years have 301 words, post on www.fastcompany.com at October 21, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.