Sadiq Khan today repeatedly refused to deny he believes the Met Police is institutionally racist as he ordered the force to justify stop and searches on black suspects and double their target for new BAME recruits from 19 per cent to 40 per cent within two years. Mr Khan has ordered the 40 per cent recruitment target by 2022 because 40 per cent of the London population is from the Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic (BAME) community as he seeks to overhaul Scotland Yard from City Hall. He has also convinced Scotland Yard Commissioner Cressida Dick that officers will have to review stop and search and justify incidents to community panels. But their joint race action plan, published today, does not make clear if the panels will have any powers to punish officers they believe have behaved inappropriately. Mr Khan has previously backed claims the Met was guilty of racial profiling following a series of incidents filmed and shared online, including the vehicle stop of black Team GB athlete Bianca Williams in July and Labour MP Dawn Butler in August. While the Mayor is responsible for policing in the capital, he will face accusations that he is overreaching his powers ahead of… Read full this story
- Ex-Tory MP Harvey Proctor says 'negligent' Met Police chief Cressida Dick must resign as he accepts 'largest ever' £900k Scotland Yard payout after he was falsely accused of belonging to fantasist 'Nick's' non-existent 'VIP paedophile ring'
- Who was Stephen Lawrence? The 18-year-old schoolboy stabbed to death in unprovoked racist attack whose murder exposed Met Police corruption
- Home Secretary Calls on London Police to Increase Stop and Search to Combat Knife Crime
- 'I ain't no terrorist': London Bridge terrorist Usman Khan slams police for raiding his home in 2008 interview - as friends describe modest upbringing in Stoke-on-Trent with his Pakistani Kashmiri family including taxi driver dad
- Veterinary student girlfriend of London Bridge terror victim Jack Merritt, 25, is 'beside herself' over the death of the 'beautiful spirit' jail reformer
- London Bridge attack timeline as it happened and reaction
- London Bridge shooting RECAP: 'Three dead' after knifeman in fake explosive vest 'stabs workers'
- London Bridge attack – terrorist was freed to kill despite judge who jailed him saying he should NEVER be let out
- The Al Qaeda Islamist fanatic from Stoke who was caught plotting to murder rabbis in Mumbai-style terror attack on London - and boasted about his benefits after early release
- London Bridge knifeman who killed two was convicted terrorist, 28, released from jail last year and still wearing a tag
Furious Tories blast Sadiq Khan after he twice refuses to deny Met Police is 'institutionally racist' as London mayor orders officers to 'justify' stop-and-searches on BAME suspects and tells Cressida Dick to DOUBLE ethnic minority intake to 40% have 410 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at November 13, 2020. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.