Britons can sit on benches ‘for a short pause’ and go on bike rides of up to 70 miles but should think carefully about meeting a friend for a coffee and must never go to the supermarket without a mask, ministers said today. Kit Malthouse also accused the public of ‘searching for the loopholes in the law’ and ignoring the ‘spirit’ of them by flouting the third national lockdown – comparing it to pubs serving scotch eggs to stay open last year - and insisted that it is the police’s job to scrutinise where people are going and who they are meeting outdoors. It came as Metropolitan Police Commissioner Dame Cressida Dick said today that police will move ‘swiftly’ to fine people who blatantly ignore coronavirus lockdown rules and said officers in London had issued more than 300 fixed penalty notices in the space of 24 hours for ‘flagrant’ violations of the regulations. But Policing Minister Mr Hancock said Boris Johnson’s decision to go cycling in the Olympic Park seven miles from Downing Street was ‘within the rules’ and legal, saying the PM’s Sunday ride in east London was fine because ‘local is open to interpretation’. He said: ‘I understand that this… Read full this story
- A 'Survivor' Producer, a Dead Wife, Four Years in a Mexican Prison: New Evidence Amid a Nightmare
- Palestinians say Trump's deal is racist. But their leaders are bereft of ideas on how to fight it
- Will Fort heritage mile meet its March deadline?
- UK Government is set to issue new travel advice as pressure mounts on ministers to BAN all travellers from China after third case of the killer coronavirus in Brighton
- Fury as the Government simply tells people flying home from Asian countries to 'call NHS 111 if you feel ill' after THIRD travel-related coronavirus case flies into UK from Singapore as ministers face calls to screen ALL travellers at airports
- Iowa winner Pete Buttigieg comes under fire from Dem rivals in New Hampshire debate as Amy Klobuchar slams his inexperience and Joe Biden calls out lack of support from black and Latino voters
- 'How are we supposed to get home?': Fury as Foreign Office warns ALL 30,000 Brits in China to LEAVE as death toll hits 427 - but tells them 'find your own way back' and stops repatriation flights
- Who rules the road? Fact-checking Ardern vs Bridges on infrastructure
- Ivanka Trump’s Gurus Say Their Techniques Can End War and Make You Fly
- More than half of Denver’s public schools are segregated, 25 years after busing ended
Confused about new lockdown rules? Ministers say you CAN cycle up to 70 miles from home and rest on a bench for 'a short pause' - but it would be illegal 'just to sit in public' - as Cressida Dick vows crackdown and reveals Met issued 300 fines in 24 hours have 415 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 12, 2021. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.