“” Try a free puzzle of this image! Grand Canyon National Park is actually designated as both a national park and national monument. This view from Bright Angel Trailhead is from the South Rim of the park. NPS/Michael Quinn America’s national parks are places of wonder and natural beauty, playing host to activities as diverse as the people who visit them. In 2019, there were 327.5 million recreational visits across the system. There are actually 20 types of “national parks” that fall under the protection of the National Park Service (NPS). These include battlefields, historical parks, national lakeshores, parkways and other recreational areas. Perhaps the two most popular among tourists are national parks and national monuments. Advertisement Advertisement National Parks While most of us are familiar with at least some of the 62 sites that include “national park” as part of their name like Grand Canyon National Park, Yellowstone National Park or Yosemite National Park, the National Park System actually contains a total of 423 national park sites. This includes parks in the continental U.S. and the territories of Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa and Guam. Generally, a national park holds a variety of resources, encompassing large areas… Read full this story
- Interior Secretary David Bernhardt: Coronavirus impacts national parks and other public lands
- No Walk In The Park For Californians Struggling With Cabin Fever Amid Coronavirus
- Dinomania: the story of our obsession with dinosaurs
- New Genus of Cricket Found in Arizona Cave
- Shared culture, shared heritage and shared responsibility will preserve these 38 world heritage sites in India
- Facebook, Flexport among Bay Area companies donating medical equipment
- Coronavirus cancellations and delays: Oktoberfest, San Diego Comic-Con, more
- The Spectacular journey: Getting to know Slovakia
- UK coronavirus death toll jumps from 54 yesterday to 87 today - bringing a total of 422 fatalities - and infection cases leap by 1,427 in biggest daily rise yet... so why are people STILL crammed on Tubes and trains and mingling in parks?
- Coronavirus cancellations and delays: Oktoberfest, Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, more
What's the Difference Between a National Park and National Monument? have 324 words, post on adventure.howstuffworks.com at January 14, 2021. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.