You might think that switching from Facebook Messenger to old-fashioned text messages would help protect your privacy. But standard SMS text messages aren't very private or secure. SMS is like fax —an old, outdated standard that refuses to go away. Your Cellular Carrier Can See Your SMS Messages With SMS, messages you send are not end-to-end encrypted. Your cellular provider can see the contents of messages you send and receive. Those messages are stored on your cellular provider's systems—so, instead of a tech company like Facebook seeing your messages, your cellular provider can see your messages. Cellular carriers store the contents of those messages for various amounts of time . Messages are often only retained for several days, but they store metadata (which number sent a message to which number, and at what time) for even longer. These records could be subject to subpoena in legal proceedings—for example, text message records are a common form of evidence in divorce cases. Compare this to an end-to-end encrypted chat app like Signal . Signal doesn't have the contents of your communications. Signal doesn't even know who you're talking to. Your conversation data is only stored on your device and the device of… Read full this story
- Somalia Speaks: How Al Jazeera Reports Via Text Message
- Facebook is collecting your SMS texts, calls and contacts – how to stop it
- Google is upgrading Android text messages—no thanks to mobile carriers
- 950 million Android phones can be hijacked by malicious text messages
- The 2-2-2 Rule Forces You to Respond to Phone Calls, Texts, and Email in a Timely Fashion
- Experts urge public to STOP sending SMS messages amid fears hackers could intercept data and suggest using encrypted services such as WhatsApp
- Google aims to replace traditional SMS with smarter ‘RCS’: How it works
- Google is finally rolling out RCS support to Android Messages in the U.S.
- Kočner allegedly sent a text to Penta’s co-owner before the murder
- Three Easy Tricks to Improve Your Online Security
Why SMS Text Messages Aren’t Private or Secure have 337 words, post on www.howtogeek.com at January 21, 2021. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.