You might think that switching from Facebook Messenger to old-fashioned text messages would help protect your privacy. But standard SMS text messages aren't very private or secure. SMS is like fax —an old, outdated standard that refuses to go away. Your Cellular Carrier Can See Your SMS Messages With SMS, messages you send are not end-to-end encrypted. Your cellular provider can see the contents of messages you send and receive. Those messages are stored on your cellular provider's systems—so, instead of a tech company like Facebook seeing your messages, your cellular provider can see your messages. Cellular carriers store the contents of those messages for various amounts of time . Messages are often only retained for several days, but they store metadata (which number sent a message to which number, and at what time) for even longer. These records could be subject to subpoena in legal proceedings—for example, text message records are a common form of evidence in divorce cases. Compare this to an end-to-end encrypted chat app like Signal . Signal doesn't have the contents of your communications. Signal doesn't even know who you're talking to. Your conversation data is only stored on your device and the device of… Read full this story
- Another huge database exposed millions of call logs and SMS text messages
- How Do I Block Unwanted Text Messages on My Cellphone?
- Hackers Can Force ATMs to Spit Out Money With a Text Message
- The First Text Message Was Sent 20 Years Ago Today
- Phantom text messages were sent around the country last night
- State Department's Ukraine Text Messages: 5 Major Takeaways From Communications Between Top U.S. Diplomats and Rudy Giuliani
- Here’s how to send a text message from your email account
- Chinese hackers had access to entire network's text messages
- Researchers unearth malware that siphoned SMS texts out of telco’s network
- Rudy Giuliani Reveals State Department Text Messages About His Ukraine Dealings: 'They're All Over Me...Asking Me to Do it'
Why SMS Text Messages Aren’t Private or Secure have 329 words, post on www.howtogeek.com at January 21, 2021. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.