HONG KONG – Hong Kong media tycoon and outspoken pro-democracy activist Jimmy Lai was sentenced to more jail time Friday over his role in an anti-government protest in 2019, as authorities step up a crackdown on dissent in the city. Lai and nine others were charged with incitement to take part in an unauthorized assembly when they walked down a road with thousands of residents on Oct. 1, 2019, to protest dwindling political freedoms in Hong Kong. Lai, 73, was sentenced to 14 months in prison. He is currently serving a separate 14-month jail term for other convictions earlier this year also related to unauthorized rallies in 2019, when hundreds of thousands repeatedly took to the streets in the biggest challenge to Beijing since the city was handed from British to Chinese control in 1997. Beijing promised that the territory could retain its freedoms not found on the mainland for 50 years. With the two sentences combined, Lai will serve a total of 20 months behind bars. He is the founder of The Apple Daily , a feisty pro-democracy tabloid. Lai is also being investigated under the city's sweeping national security law, imposed last year, for colluding with foreign powers… Read full this story
- Gui Minhai: Hong Kong bookseller gets 10 years jail
- Chinese court gives Gui Minhai, Hong Kong bookseller, 10 years in jail
- Hong Kong police fire tear gas as black-clad protesters return to streets
- Fake prince Joel Barlow loses appeal bid against 14-year jail term over almost $17m Queensland Health fraud
- Hong Kong tycoon Jimmy Lai arrested for 'taking part in pro-democracy march'
- Producer gets 6 months jail for ‘aggravated contempt’
- Producer Prernaa Arora gets 6 months jail for ‘aggravated contempt’
- Fake prince gets 14 years' jail over $16m fraud
- Hong Kong pro-democracy media mogul Jimmy Lai arrested for 'illegal assembly' over 2019 protest
- Breakingviews - Hong Kong property tycoon builds model buyout
Hong Kong Tycoon Gets 14-Month Jail Term Over 2019 Protest have 294 words, post on www.voanews.com at May 28, 2021. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.