Launching with Steve Jobs' NeXT Computer in 1988, the NeXTSTEP operating system represented the cutting edge of desktop software design. It became the technological bedrock for Apple's macOS, iOS, and others. Let's look at what was so special about NeXTSTEP. NeXTSTEP: Flexible and Elegant, with a Solid Foundation Amid heavyweight competition from Windows , Mac OS, OS/2 , and BeOS in the 1990s, the NeXTSTEP operating system stood out. This was due to its elegant use of detailed icons and typography, its built-in networking support, the easy-to-program object-oriented windowing system, and its solid UNIX roots. All of these features (and more) earned NeXTSTEP a core group of die-hard fans. It also won fans at Apple, who guided NeXTSTEP into the future of the company. Today, hundreds of millions of people use descendants of the NeXT software on Macs, iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches. But how did that happen? RELATED: What Was BeOS, and Why Did People Love It? The Origins of NeXTSTEP The mid-1980s were tough for Steve Jobs. After a power struggle at Apple, he left the firm he cofounded in 1985. That same year, he founded NeXT, Inc., along with several other Apple veterans. The crew quickly got… Read full this story
- Inside Apple's iPad: iPhone OS vs Mac OS X
- Apple Adds 'Do Not Track' Tool to Safari in Mac OS X Lion
- How to Install Mac OS X Lion on Your HP ProBook (or Compatible Laptop)
- The Iran We Don't See: A Tour of the Country Where People Love Americans
- How to Create a Text File in a Folder on Mac
- How to Remove Old Devices from Apple ID on Mac
- Will the Magic Trackpad 2, Magic Mouse 2, and Magic Keyboard work with your Mac?
- How to use storage space on your iPhone to backup files from your Mac
- Apple looking to develop custom ARM chips for future Macs, cutting out Intel - report
- Top 5 stories AppleInsider readers loved in 2021
Before Mac OS X: What Was NeXTSTEP, and Why Did People Love It? have 318 words, post on www.howtogeek.com at August 24, 2021. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.