After raising a fresh $130 million at a near $1.5 billion valuation, Hovhannes Avoyan's (above) free-to-use editor is fast becoming the Photoshop for the TikTok and Instagram generation. G rowing up in Soviet Armenia in the early 1980s, Hovhannes Avoyan dreamed of going to the state-run art school. To get in, applicants had to submit a still life drawing of a vase. Avoyan's sketch failed to impress. Rejected, he picked a different creative path–computer science, focusing on the first generation of artificial intelligence and machine learning. The move paid off, handsomely. Over the next 30 years Avoyan built and sold three software start-ups. He became wealthy and one the leaders in Armenia’s burgeoning tech scene. He remained an art lover and pushed his children to pursue it. One day in 2011 his 11-year-old daughter, Zara, came to him despondent. She had posted a drawing on social media and received harsh comments. She wanted to quit. "The criticism shook her confidence. She was about to give up," says Avoyan , 56. "It reminded me of my situation when I gave up art for another career because I didn’t get the right support." So Avoyan built a mobile app offering a few… Read full this story
- Revolut is Europe’s newest unicorn after raising $250m
- Fintech Revolut has officially reached unicorn status
- From zombies to unicorns: the struggles of Romanian startups
- Canva takes on PowerPoint with its first acquisition of Sydney start-up Zeetings
- The IPO wave rolls on: DocuSign and Smartsheet shares jump on their public debuts
- DocuSign and Smartsheet price shares at a premium ahead of Friday IPOs
- ‘We can’t have women who code if we don’t have girls who code’
- For Apple's iPhone X, is it time for 'full panic mode'?
- Subscriptions will save media
- The Start Menu Should Be Sacred (But It’s Still a Disaster in Windows 10)
Picsart Is Tech’s Newest Unicorn — And Adobe Should Be Afraid have 310 words, post on www.forbes.com at August 26, 2021. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.