When Romance Met Comedy With When Romance Met Comedy , Caroline Siede examines the history of the rom-com through the years, one happily ever after (or not) at a time. Monsoon Wedding opens with a shower of crumbling marigold petals and closes with a torrential downpour. While the early shot seems to portend trouble for the couple entering into an arranged marriage a few days later, the rain itself doesn't ruin their wedding so much as enrich it. The deluge outside only adds to the warm atmosphere inside the colorful, waterproof reception tent where the bride and groom's massive, multi-generational families dance alongside servants and wedding planners. The characters have come out of a harrowing, chaotic week more level-headed but also more romantic. You can't control the weather, so you might as well embrace it. Advertisement In the era of Runaway Bride and The Wedding Planner , Monsoon Wedding pointedly offered a different kind of romantic comedy, one that mixed pragmatism and romanticism in a way that left audiences around the world captivated. The film—which turned 20 this year—won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival, making director Mira Nair one of just six women who've taken home the… Read full this story
- Pre-wedding shoots, parties likely to be allowed at Waste to Wonder park
- Farty paintings and getting sozzled on gin: a seriously silly history of art and comedy colliding
- Hollywood's tyranny of bad taste: As another crass and gratuitously offensive 'comedy' hits the big screen, why do we have to pretend they are funny, asks film critic BRIAN VINER
- Punjab bars public gatherings, violators to be booked; weddings limited to 30 people
- David and Victoria Beckham 'set to purchase a love-nest as a wedding gift for Brooklyn and his new fiancée Nicola Peltz'
- Roald Dahl's grandson Ned Donovan weds Princess Raiyah of Jordan... in England with almost no-one present after Covid ruled out grand event in her homeland
- Brooklyn Beckham, 21, and new fiancée Nicola Peltz, 25, 'plan to tie the knot in TWO separate weddings next year costing £4 million'... with Victoria 'delighted' for newly-engaged couple
- Denise Welch, 62, 'didn't understand that marriage is about compromise' until she wed her THIRD husband in her 50s... as she weighs in Brooklyn Beckham getting engaged aged 21
- Lindsay Lohan's mother Dina asks her to be maid of honor at her wedding (even though the bride STILL hasn't met the groom in person)
- 'Angel' bride on way home from wedding stops to help car crash victim
Monsoon Wedding served up a different kind of wedding comedy have 413 words, post on www.avclub.com at September 24, 2021. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.