By Joseph Lee Published 26 November 2021 Share close Share page Copy link About sharing Related Topics Coronavirus pandemic The new Covid variant circulating in South Africa that prompted UK travel restrictions is a “huge international concern”, the health secretary says. Sajid Javid said experience has shown “we must move quickly and at the earliest possible moment”. He said it might be more transmissible, vaccines might be less effective against it and it might affect one of the UK’s major treatments, Ronapreve. No cases of the variant have yet been detected in the UK. Mr Javid told the House of Commons it was “highly likely” the B.1.1.529 variant had already spread from South Africa and Botswana, where confirmed cases have been found, to other countries. Travellers from these countries, as well as Namibia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho and Eswatini, will have to self-isolate for 10 days, with those arriving after 04:00 GMT on Sunday required to quarantine in a hotel. All flights from the six countries are also being suspended until the hotel quarantine system is in operation. Other countries have also imposed travel restrictions on them, while European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has called for air travel to the… Read full this story
- Coronavirus: Has Covid-19 exposed UK's underlying ill health?
- Covid-19: test all health and care workers weekly, says UK scientist
- Coronavirus: Obesity increases risks from Covid-19, experts say
- Face coverings are choking hazard for young children, Public Health England warns
- Deputy PM orders preparedness for new COVID-19 developments
- RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: Only handle your own balls? I know Public Health England is a racket, but this is worse than useless
- New COVID-19 cases in US decline for the first time in five weeks and average daily toll of 66,000 infections is the lowest in 10 days - but 22 states, mostly in the Midwest, are now seeing increases as hotspot regions plateau
- New Demand For Plan To Curtail 'Public Health Catastrophe'
- 'Losing battle': Philippine doctors, nurses urge new COVID-19 lockdowns
- Outbreaks of Covid-like illnesses in care homes are at their highest levels in a MONTH, Public Health England data shows
New Covid variant: Javid says UK must act quickly over public health risk have 338 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at November 26, 2021. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.