Getty Images Among Adam DeSautels’ responsibilities as an assistant coach at Westwind Preparatory Academy in Phoenix was helping players find spots at the next level. In September 2011, that meant posting on Blogspot, where he published scouting reports, one of which included a proclamation: DeSautels would be surprised if this particular Westwind player was not named an all-league defensive player at least once in his collegiate career. When he talked to college coaches about this player, a defense-first, jump-out-of-the-gym combo guard, he could sense their hesitation. “It was weird,” he said, because the film spoke for itself, and, as the player’s English teacher, he didn’t understand how anybody could meet the kid and not like him. Convincing the coaches to make the trip was “like pulling teeth.” To this day, DeSautels cannot explain why there was such little interest in Gary Payton II. You’d think the son of a Hall of Famer would be overhyped, not underrecruited. “I couldn’t even get the Big Sky to come look at Gary,” DeSautels said. “His name’s Gary Payton and he’s athletic. So, one, that means I’m a terrible salesperson, but, two, he wasn’t really somebody that people took that seriously.” Payton was 19… Read full this story
- Killion: Staying put made sense for Draymond Green
- Omri Casspi agrees to one-year deal with the Golden State Warriors - ProBasketballTalk | NBC Sports
- Owner Joe Lacob rebuilt Warriors with Silicon Valley values
- Golden State Warriors Set N.B.A. Record With 73 Wins
- NBA free agency 2021: Projecting salary cap space and spending power for each team, from Knicks to Warriors
- Team USA basketball Olympic roster: Kevin Durant, Damian Lillard among final 12-man squad heading to Tokyo
- Team USA basketball Olympic roster: Damian Lillard, Kevin Durant among final 12-man squad heading to Tokyo
- Warriors' 'The City' jersey endured ridicule but became a classic
- How The Phoenix Suns Have Taken Early Control Of The 2021 NBA Finals
- Can you guess your state's official song?
Gary Payton II is here to stay: How the Golden State Warriors found a gem and Little Gary finally found a home have 321 words, post on www.cbssports.com at January 21, 2022. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.