When Romance Met Comedy With When Romance Met Comedy , Caroline Siede examines the history of the rom-com through the years, one happily ever after (or not) at a time. If movie genres were ice cream flavors, romantic comedies would be vanilla: Simple, satisfying, and unchallenging. You can jazz it up with toppings or mix in other flavors, but at the end of the day, it's the comforting familiarity that's the selling point. That being said, there's a massive range in quality between a handcrafted artisanal pint and a two-gallon bucket of artificially flavored gloop. There's an art to making a truly great romantic comedy, just as there's an art to making a truly great vanilla ice cream. And on the high end of that spectrum sits Roman Holiday , perhaps the finest vanilla gelato the rom-com genre has ever served up. Advertisement Like Harold And Maude or When Harry Met Sally , Roman Holiday is one of those romantic comedies that's inspired so many copycats that the original can almost seem too familiar to first-time viewers. Three years after Disney canonized our shared image of Cinderella with its 1950 animated classic, Roman Holiday popularized the "reverse Cinderella" romance—the story… Read full this story
- This is how astronauts celebrate Thanksgiving and other holidays in space
- The 75 best comedies to watch on Netflix right now
- Audrey Hepburn: The Life Story You May Not Know
- Netflix top pick movies to watch in June 2021: Super 8, Just Like Heaven, Yesterday and MORE
- The best rom-coms on Amazon Prime Video right now
- The 25 Best Movies Set in New York City
- Who is Phil Collins’ ex-wife Jill Tavelman?
- Mirror Book Club: Tragedy And Triumph In The New Space Race updates Tom Wolfe classic
- LG's gawky V series grows into maturity with the V30, its best phone ever
- The 47 best movies on HBO Max right now
Roman Holiday remains one of romantic comedy's most delectable treats have 312 words, post on www.avclub.com at January 14, 2022. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.