By Josh Parry, LGBT producer & Lauren Moss, LGBT correspondent Published 26 minutes ago Share close Share page Copy link About sharing More than 100 organisations have pulled out of the UK’s first ever global LGBT+ conference over the government’s stance on conversion therapy. The UK government had promised to ban conversion therapy but last week decided not to include therapy for transgender people in the ban. Groups are now withdrawing from the government’s Safe To Be Me conference. The government says it is going to look into how it can ban trans conversion therapy. According to NHS England, conversion therapy tries to change someone’s sexual orientation or gender identity. The government’s three-day Safe To Be Me conference was due to be held this summer to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the first ever London Pride marches. It was set to be the biggest event of its kind, and was seen by many in government as a way for the Government Equalities Office – part of the government which oversees LGBT equality – to “double down” on its commitment to LGBT rights. But the LGBT+ Consortium, an umbrella body for LGBT+ community organisations, has issued a statement branding the… Read full this story
- ‘My spirit broken’: LGBTQ+ Mexicans battle to ban conversion therapy
- Queensland becomes the first state in Australia to ban 'destructive and unethical' gay conversion therapy - including electric shocks, hypnotherapy and EXORCISMS
- Why America’s Top LGBT Group Is Losing An Argument Over Bathrooms
- Kentucky lawmakers resume push to curb ‘conversion therapy’
- Harvard Student Group To Host Conference Defending Homeschooling In Response To ‘Hostility In Academia And Media’ Towards Homeschool Families
- Where Did All the Republican LGBT Candidates Go?
- New York State Bans Gay-Panic Defense, "An Important Win for LGBTQ people Everywhere" Says Cuomo
- 'LGBT people are also humans': Thai Buddhist monk backs equality
- NHL stands up for LGBT rights – so why no boycott of the Sochi Olympics?
- Putin Mocks U.S. Embassy Staff in Moscow for Displaying LGBT Rainbow Flag
Conversion therapy ban: Over 80 LGBT groups quit government conference have 330 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at April 4, 2022. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.