There are all sorts of oddities out in the depths of our solar system, and one of the most intriguing is a strange metal asteroid called Psyche. At 140 miles across, it's one of the largest asteroids in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter, and it is the only asteroid discovered to date that could be composed entirely of iron and nickel. That makes Psyche a valuable target for research because it could teach us about how planets like Earth — which has a metal core — formed and evolved. To learn more about this unusual asteroid, NASA will soon be launching a mission, also called Psyche, to visit the asteroid and spend 21 months orbiting it. With the launch of the mission scheduled for August 1 this year, using a SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket from Launch Complex 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center, the Psyche spacecraft is being prepared for its liftoff and long journey. Recently, the spacecraft was moved to a special facility at Kennedy where it is being tested and made ready for its big debut. "Since its arrival on April 29, the Psyche spacecraft has moved into the Payload Hazardous Servicing Facility at NASA's Kennedy… Read full this story
- The top trends from Paris Fashion Week AW18
- Does bitcoin’s continuing rise signal digital currencies moving to the mainstream?
- You can now buy Angel Delight in ready-to-eat pots as British favourite gets a modern-day makeover
- Why Stephen Hawking and the world’s top scientists say this massive object hurtling through space could be an alien spaceship
- Fintech: The future has a composable architecture
- Melinda Matthews Clarkson: The benefits of embracing change
- Interest in the ‘Flat Earth’ movement exploded in 2017 with a 90% spike in Google searches
- Budget 2017 speech in full: Text and video of Philip Hammond's fiscal announcements on tax, the NHS and housing as it happened
- ‘James Bond jihadi’ Samata Ullah who used cyber cufflinks to hide ISIS data and was branded new breed of terrorist is caged
- Mind the gap – Industry 4.0 and the future of manufacturing
NASA's Psyche almost ready for launch to metal asteroid | Digital Trends have 337 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at May 7, 2022. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.