Capacitors play a crucial role in protecting electronic components from dips and surges. Over time, though, they degrade, becoming worse at their job. Here's how to minimize the risk of capacitor aging when buying a PSU . RELATED: How Important Is the Power Supply (PSU) When Building a PC? Why Do Capacitors Age? Capacitor aging is essentially the degradation of the electrolyte. That's the substance that fills in the space between the layers of insulation inside the component. Capacitors are made using different materials with different properties. Therefore, the rate and severity of degradation vary depending on the type of capacitor in question. In the late 90s and early 2000s, the computing world experiences a " capacitor plague " which caused millions of dollars in damage as capacitors with defective electrolytes rapidly aged and capacitors failed. While new capacitors don't have this problem, it demonstrates what eventually happens to all capacitors. Liquid vs. Solid Capacitors There are many different ways to make a capacitor (and even supercapacitors), and two common types of capacitors use either a liquid electrolyte or a solid organic polymer. Liquid electrolyte capacitors experience evaporation and can even develop leaks. Temperature plays a role as well. The… Read full this story
- Face your future (and past): Tech trickery used on Mail stars after Robert De Niro is 'de-aged' in his new film The Irishman
- Bernie Sanders, 78, and Joe Biden, 76, confront age concerns
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: ‘Worried’ Terminator actor, 72, addresses ‘surprise’ health woes
- The Biden 'gaffe machine' sparks worry for Democrats
- Molly-Mae Hague EXCLUSIVE: Love Island star reveals she doesn't miss the villa and is NOT worried about staying 'relevant' when next series starts... as she launches PrettyLittleThing range
- Grieving mother whose daughter died of a heroin overdose at age 28 reveals how she got hooked on the drug after trying it just once in college - as she warns others that it could just as easily happen to their kids
- Amber Rudd's daughter Flora Gill, 28, learns she is likely to suffer dementia in old age after tracing her DNA ancestry
- Shh! Anti-agers no one but you need know about: Should I worry about my skin tags — and how can I get rid of them?
- Fiction in the Age of MeToo
- How Do Electronics Age?
What Is Capacitor Aging in PSUs, and Should You Worry? have 372 words, post on www.howtogeek.com at May 14, 2022. This is cached page on wBlogs. If you want remove this page, please contact us.